USS Ranger (CV-4) was the sixth U.S. Naval ship to bear the name Ranger. Keeping the tradition of firsts made by the first USS Ranger, CV-4 was to be the first U.S. ship to be designed and built from the keel up as an aircraft carrier. Commissioned on 4 June, 1934, she would be the first aircraft carrier to be put in commission by the First Lady. Mrs. Hoover broke a bottle of prohibition era grape juice on Ranger's bow. Ranger would serve in the Atlantic and Mediterranean through her career. She was there providing support for several battles during WWII and would earn two battle stars. She was decommissioned on 18 October, 1946.
On 25 April, 1943, Commander Otto Von Bulow, commanding U-Boat U-404, reported sinking the Ranger.
For more, see the Official U.S. Navy History.
Ranger's air group performed with distinction on board Ranger and was then to see duty in the Pacific on board USS Bunker Hill (CV-17) and the USS Essex (CV-9). Air Group 4 would garner more honors aboard the Essex class carriers that followed the pioneer USS Ranger.